Re: Winter Storage & oil pump priming

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winter Storage & oil pump priming
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 08:36:28 +0500
Ray writes:

>P.S.  Science aside, do I store batteries on concrete?  No, of course
>not.  Why tempt the gods?

Its now time Zehring's atmospheric conductivity theory:  :>

(wow, two theories in one day... Zehring must be thinking about grants!)

In a word: Humidity.  All of you must remember from your high school
meterology class (not to be confused with your meteorology class) that humid
air is heavy air and therefore it sinks to the floor.  Now, most of us have
a concrete floor in our garage.  You following this?  Concrete is a porous
material and it holds a lot of water and further contributes to the heavy
humid air that hovers around all our garage floors.  Be thankful you don't
breath out of your ankles or you'd catch your death of a cold everytime you
steped into that horrid place.  Anyway, getting back to the point:  I'm sure
we all remember from our high school acquatic ballet class that water
conducts electicity.  What, after all, is a battery but a box of
electricity?  Okay, fine.  Now put that box of electicity into a humid
atmosphere and what happens?  Electicity conducts into the humid atmosphere,
bouncing from water droplet to water droplet, and then falling to the
concrete floor and finally to "earth," negative or otherwise.  Out of the
battery that is, forever.  Solution: put the battery on your wooden work
bench (at least four feet above the garage floor where the air is as dry as
in the Gobi desert) and you'll have a healthy battery waiting for you next
spring so you can crank the patooties out of your engine to build up oil
preasure.

I gotta go.

Will "my brain hurts" Zehring