Re: Fuel comments

To: FUSIONDES@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel comments
From: David Lockwood <lockwood@calweb.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 21:54:12 -0800 (PST)
Heat generated is a function of the calories burned.  If you run "cooler"
you're generating less power.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  Then
again, I'm just an old biker.
What your friend might have meant is that the heat is disipated over a
larger portion of the cylinder wall.  Since the flame propagates slower
the piston is lower in the cylinder exposing more of the cylinder wall to
the heat generated.  This way the cooling system has a better chance of
picking up the extra heat to carry it away.  That's why the HEAD will run
cooler--it doesn't have to do all the heat exchanger work!
In short, while you will generate more heat with higher octane fuel it
will be easier for your cooling system to dispose of it.  Net result-a
cooler engine.