RE: shocks

To: "Palmer, Lewis" <Lew@MPLS.UCI.com>
Subject: RE: shocks
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 23:10:47 -1000 (EST)
A while ago, people asked about what oil to use in armstrong lever arm
shocks.

I spoke to the guys from SG Leslie & Sons, a local armstrong shock repair/
rebuilder. He said he makes up the oil these days with simple hydraulic oil
and some oil additives. He told me that I could either

a) buy a 5 litre container (what he sells normally)
b) bring down a 1 litre bottle and he'll fill it for a big markup
or
c) buy Penrite Auto transmission Fluid, which has all the same additives
   (he said almost exactly the same). I told him it was for a race car
   and he said no problems.

I personally have found it difficult to find 30wt motorcycle fork oil, most
modern bikes using weights around 5.

>From what I gathered, mostly the additives are there to prevent foaming and
to ensure little change in properties with high temperature.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au