Huffaker Stage 3 MGB-GT question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Huffaker Stage 3 MGB-GT question
From: Railroad@gnn.com (Glen Wilson)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 19:22:02
Dear MG Gurus:

I recently hooked up with someone selling a '70 BGT with "no dents", some
rocker rust, a lousy interior, and a missing grille for a pretty low price
considering the following:

" The engine is a stage three Huffaker spec. that has a nitrided crank & cam
[easily turns 7k], it has a 45DCOE Webber carb, custom large radiator, oil
cooler, Mini Cooper S distributor, Jag alternator, Borg & Beck Racing clutch,
early non-emission ported head, and lots of other tricks. The suspension uses
Addco front & rear sway-bars, competition Armstrong shocks in the front and a
Koni conversion in the rear. The rims are 14X7 with 185X70 Semperit tires,
spare matches [very low miles]. This car is very quick, it will light the
tires through 1st & 2nd and chirp 3rd well...would run with 240Z's to 100...
nice traffic light racer, did well autocrossing."

The car looks like any old somewhat shabby BGT and has been in storage since
1985.  My sense of this is that it would be a pretty interesting car after it
got the typical BGT restoration treatment.  And might actually be worth what
I put into it since the seller is asking $1000 for the car...

What can anyone tell me about this state of tuning?  Will this thing idle at
all?  Is it a forgone conclusion that the drivetrain aft of the engine will
be mush?  Since the car looks stock except for the wheels, I think I could
still register and insure it as an antique in my state thereby avoiding
emissions and safety inspections.  Even classic (not antique) tags have no
emissions requirements here.

So who thinks this would be a cool car and who thinks it would be nothing but
non-original tempermental mechanicals that would be nothing but trouble?

Glen