Re: Where does my spare go ?

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Where does my spare go ?
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 09:36:22 GMT
RWBMG@aol.com  said :

>> Andy:
>> I've had my '68 B roadster since new.  Once I changed from tubes to non-tubed
>> radials 15 years ago, I haven't had a flat.   During the past 6 years I have
>> chosen not to carry a spare.  Instead I carry the canned foam in case of an
>> emergency.  You just have to have faith that the new tires won't fail.

I tried your plan when I first bought my midget.  About three weeks after buying
it I got a flat on a sunday evening on the beachfront in Wales.  There's
probably
no worse place to try to find a new tyre in the entire world.

I used the foam stuff, which seemed to work OK, then set off back to London,
slowly, on the motorway.  All was fine until about 3 hours later when the tyre
blew off, and the car started veering all over the place.

I then had to call the AA to come and take me home to London.  I got loads of
grief about not having a spare, about how they shouldn't really pick me up at
all because it was entirely my own fault I was stranded and so on.

Eventually we got to London about 4 am, just in time for me to start my new job
at 9 that morning.

Oh and the tyre was completely ruined by the experience.

Since then I've always carried a spare tyre !

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.