Re: Wire Knock-Off Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Knock-Off Wheels
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 21 Nov 1995 14:10:27 -0600
In <v01530502acd77d802724@[192.188.108.15]>, Bill Yarborough wrote:

>>My brother Tim just purchased another Austin Healey this past weekend and
>>of course I went to help him pick it up and tinker with it.  My or I
>>guess I should say his question is do you know how to remove knock-off
>>wheels when it appears the splines have rusted together?

Welcome to the Court of Last Resort.  I used this method to loosen
taper-fit hubs on an Aston Martin.  It was suggested by (the late)
Harold, who claimed he did it all the time in the 20's and 30's.

Loosen the knockoffs about a turn.  Insure that the hub region has
been thoroughly drenched in WD40 or Liquid Wrench or Kroil or the like
for a few days.  Take your baby for a spin, and go around the corners
violently.  When you hear the bang, stop.

I accept no responsibility for anyone foolish enough to take this
advice, but you might want to do it in a deserted parking lot or the
like, since it would seem unwise to drive very far on loose knockoffs
once the wheel is loose.
                A. B. Bonds