RE: Smog Tests - California

To: john bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Subject: RE: Smog Tests - California
From: lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E. Gilbert)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 13:12:39 -0800
>Ernest,
>      Of course you are correct. I was really using 1950 as a generic
>number to illustrate my point, without thinking of *precisely* what I
>was saying. The 1964 year, I believe, was the last year that did not
>require any sort of smog test. So any 1964 or older than 1964
>manufacture? (probably registered year) would not need to be smogged
>and therefore presumably any year engine could be installed. But
>beyond 1964 (newer) the rule I mentioned applies. Thank's for pointing
>that out, I don't want to pass on incorrect information.
>Name: john bartholomew San Jose CA.   Usual disclaimers apply
>E-mail: jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com
>  69MGBGT, 74MGB, restoring 76MGB, 79MGB, 72MGB daily driver.

Thanks, I needed that, but all this mail on Cal smog got me into the
reaearch mode. Much to my surprise the laws are not in the vehicle code, but
rather in the Health & Safety Code beginning at section 43000 which wasn't
enacted until 1975. It imposes the requirements on

1) all new cars, obviously 1975 and later, and
2) on all used cars already equiped with smog devices at time of manufature.
3) excepting cars of 'historical interest.' (Section 43002)

There must be another law or regulation dating back to 1965 that created all
those used cars they referred to that I havn't found yet. I'll keep looking
to see where the '65 date comes from but I have a hunch it was Federal.

In other sections it says the smog approval to sell new in Cal is for
engines and not cars. This explains the later standards for newer engine
replacements but I havn't found where you can't put an earlier engine in to
get lower standards. I know its there though.

Incidentally, all the Cal Codes are at
'http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html' with a nifty search engine.

I'll report further findings.

Ernest E. Gilbert