Re: SU carb leaks

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU carb leaks
From: SBERCOVICH@cbe.ab.ca
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 22:02:15 -0700 (MST)
Check the plugs on the top of the float chambers. There is, in effect, a
T-shaped piece there. On one or two ends of the T (depending on whether
it is the front carb or back one) there is a pipe connected to the gas
feed. The plugs are on the blank ends. These will blow out from time to
time. Had one blow in the middle of the highway between Banff and Jasper
(in Banff National Park) in the middle of October about 25 years ago.

Not a lot of fun discovering one is blowing gas all over one's engine.
(Aside from losing all the good gas!) :-) A passing motorist came up with
some epoxy ("mix the two tubes together" type of stuff). Worked like a
charm. Never _did_ replace the float tops! Always carried a set of epoxy
with me after that. Never _did_ have to use it again, though.

BTW, chewing gum will work in an emergency. Let the heat of the engine
harden it before you start up again.
--
Shel Bercovich                           "Come Ride   \/
sbercovich@cbe.ab.ca                      with Us     /\

On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Ernest E. Gilbert wrote:
> I've got one that has stumped me.
[snip]
> At over 55 on freeway carbs begin to leak. I can tell from the smell when it
[snip]