Re: Dumb, but important question

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Dumb, but important question
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:38:11 -0800 (PST)
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> Frank Sperling III asked:
>
> > My 79 B has begun deiseling for 5-10 seconds after I turn it off.  To
> > Here's the dumb question...what do I adjust to stop this?  The timing
> > (advance, retard it?)

> then the dieseling can be slowed down by retarding the timing and/or
> leaning out the mixture.

Think about this:
When you adjust the timing, all you change is WHEN the plugs fire.
Dieseling happens after you turn the ignition off!
NO MORE SPARKING!
The fuel mixture is ignited by hot components in the combustion chamber,
such as carbon deposits. This is why newly rebuilt engines normally don't
dieselcan (unless they're diesels...:-).
Ulix
                      sprite                 caddy