Re: Autocross alignment (MGB)

To: jtrindle@tsquare.com, va-britcars@tsquare.com,
Subject: Re: Autocross alignment (MGB)
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 16:16:24 -0800
On Wed, 22 Nov 1995 09:45:26 -0500 (EST) John M. Trindle asked:

> My questions are:
Sorry, can't give definitive answers to your questions.

For road racing Huffaker Engineering suggests .25 to .50 negative
camber, 4.5 to 5.0 positive castor (degrees, in both cases), and 0 to
1/16 inch toe in. This is on an MGB with considerably lower, stiffer
suspension than stock.

For autocross, Performance Engineering suggests 1.75 negative camber,
6.0 to 8.0 castor, and 0 to 1/16 inch toe in.

For street, my '67 B is set up with .50 negative camber, 5.0 positive
castor, and 1/16 inch toe in. I have had no unusual wear pattern in the
past 20,000 miles. I do have fully adjustable suspension, thanks to
PE, but I retained my stock springs and sway bar.

Without altering your suspension to the point where you will no
longer be able to autocross  in a stock class,  I think Huffaker's specs are
probably about as close as you can get to optimum  by juggling stock parts.

HP Books, How To Make Your Car Handle (p. 80 ff), describes in great detail how
to do your own suspension alignment with little more than a large
ball of twine, plumb bob, and tape measure.

Stiffer bushing material front and rear will improve your cornering
power immensely.

Regards,
Jerry Causey