Re: Winshield Replacing

To: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Subject: Re: Winshield Replacing
From: Alan Wilson <awilson@mtvernon1.accessus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 09:09:47 -0600 (CST)

> The time has come for me to replace my 72 MGB/GT winshield.  Last night
> I picked up all new rubber, chrome, and a nice tinted winshield.  I've
> never tried to put in a winsheild before, but all of my friends have
> been telling me that it can be a BIG PAIN.
>
> So, what do all of you think?  Can me and a couple of buddies do it, or
> should I take it all to a glass shop, and pay them $50 or so to do it
> for me?

I did my '69B. It was a bit of a pain, but not that hard.  The windshield
removes with two bolts on each side of the car.  I had to drill a couple
of rivits to get to the bolts, but no problem.

Once the windshield and frame is on the bench, it is not too difficult
to replace the glass and rubber around the glass.  It is a bit messy
if you use large amounts of sealer.  The real fun comes when you try
to reinstall the new glass and frame on the car.  It takes at least
two people to push to frame down (and compress the new rubber under
the frame) to that the bolts can be reinstalled.

I would worry about taking it to a glass shop that does not know what
they are getting into.  The installation is very different from a
typical car!