Re: Winshield Replacing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winshield Replacing
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 09:51:54 +1100
>Hello All!!
>
>The time has come for me to replace my 72 MGB/GT winshield.  Last night
>I picked up all new rubber, chrome, and a nice tinted winshield.  I've
>never tried to put in a winsheild before, but all of my friends have
>been telling me that it can be a BIG PAIN.
>
>So, what do all of you think?  Can me and a couple of buddies do it, or
>should I take it all to a glass shop, and pay them $50 or so to do it
>for me?
>

>Dave "Can't see for all the scratches" Hall

The problem is not the windscreen or the rubber but the chrome strip.  It is
a nightmare to fit.  The story goes that there were two line workers in the
MG factory who did nothing else but fit the chrome strips to front and back
windows in MGB GTs.  They were never allowed to be on holidays at the same
time or production of GTs would have to cease.

The same problem occurs with some Jaguar models and some have had some
success assembling the glass, screen and strips and then fitting the whole
thing from the inside.

My suggestion is to find a windscreen shop who has never done one before,
get a firm quotation and then stay out of aural range.

Regards,

Graham
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au