Re: Nut At The End Of The Steering Column (Alignment made simple)

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nut At The End Of The Steering Column (Alignment made simple)
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 14:51:00 -0800 (PST)
Hasn't anyone ever used an impact wrench before. This type of thing is what
it's great for...
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Date: Friday,December 22,1995 9:50PM

>On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, A.D.Smith wrote:

>As for rotating the steering wheel, no.  You can't do that at the boss in
>an MG, the wheel only goes on one way.  The "jesus" nut (pardon any
>offense) which holds the hub to the shaft is quite difficult to remove
>(and rightly so).  It is a large but not very thick nut, and as a real
>pain to put any sort of torque on.  It's not clear that centering the
>wheel in this manner also centers the turn signal return nub.

    The "Nut At The End Of The Sterring Column" is not too hard to
    remove, IF one buys a proper HEX socket for that size nut.
    A hex socket, NOT a 12-point is the key.

    The proper socket is a big deep fellow, and is most likely a
    1/2" drive socket.  You need not buy a 1/2" drive wrench, as
    adapters that plug onto a (more standard) 3/8" ratchet wrench
    are available for the 1/2" drive sockets.

    The adapter is similar to the very common adapters that allow one
    to use 1/4" drive sockets with 3/8" wrenches, and visa-versa.

    It is a good idea to lean on a hand on the head of the wrench when
    putting any real tourque on the nut.  This can help to keep the
    socket from "jumping" off the nut.

    A similar set up is possible for the nuts on your axles:

        Sears Craftsman socket number G-47787 is a 1 7/8" socket
            It requires a 3/4" drive.  This fits Midgets.  I have
            no idea about Bs and others, but the Sears numbers
            tend to be "close" to each other for similar types
            of tools, so ask the clerks to look them up.

        Sears Craftsman adapter number 4271 is a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter.

    For the removal of the nuts on the axles, it might be a good idea
    to use a 1/2" drive wrench, but one could take the parts above,
    and add and 3/8" to 1/2" adapter to use a 3/8" wrench (I would
    find the resulting tool to be a tad unwieldy.)

    ...of course, I will now be bawled out by all and sundry for
    suggesting (gasp!) Craftsman tools.  If it makes me look any
    better in your eyes, I keep them in in a mahogony H. Gerstner
    and Sons tool box, complete with the felt-lined steel drawers.

    My friends would claim that the "nut at the end of the steering
    column" is IMPOSSIBLE to remove, but that is only because I
    have never let anyone else drive my MGs.

An updated version of "A Christmas Carol" would still have Marley's
Ghost visit Scrooge, but it would be BOB Marley, playing a calypso...

   james fischer                       jfischer@supercollider.com