RE: Engine troubles...

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: RE: Engine troubles...
From: VRHS43A@prodigy.com (MR JOHN H TWIST)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 1996 18:16:15 EST
CHRIS REICHLE!  Your friend's 1974 MGB has a problem with the piston rings.
This is evident to me since the engine "pushes" a lot of oil at higher rpm
-- enough to blow into the carb!  I always use cast iron rings - Hastings
rings, actually, and allow a couple of hundred miles for them to "seat."
But some rings, especially chrome rings, hardly ever seat!  Also, the
cylinder walls have to honed with long stones, then followed by the
glaze-breaker or "dingle-berry brush" to ensure the 60 degree crosshatch.
It sounds to me like the engine has to come apart again!  Fast Forward!
John Twist     BTW  one of the fellows at the shop is Wayne Reichel!