RE: Engine troubles...

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine troubles...
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 1996 16:07:00 -0800 (PST)

 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs
Subject: Engine troubles...
Date: Sunday,December 31,1995 5:35PM

1)LBC Engine Trouble:
***********
Blowby pushing oil into the carb via breather hose from crankcase?

My friend rebuilt the engine in his 1974 MGB this summer, and he is having a

problem with excessive oil consumption at sustained engine speeds above 3000
RPM.
The engine seems to run well; it makes good power and all cylinders fire
evenly.
All of the original emission control equipment was removed by a previous
owner--
could the missing PCV / Gulp valve be causing some problems?

2)LJC Engine Trouble:
***************
Bad spark plug wires?

I have a 1986 Mazda RX-7 exquiped with the normally aspirated 13b rotary
engine
which I have owned since 1989.  This car has about 107,000 km on it and has
been
serviced regularly.  While driving at about 60 km/h it developed a miss.  I
limped
it into the local dealership and they at first thought that the problem was
bad
igniter coil (no spark).  They then told me I had lost all compression in
the
rear
rotor, possibly due to a bad apex seal.  Is this sort of sudden failure
common?
The engine had  good compression in both rotors when it was serviced this
spring.

Thanks,

Dave Morris
'72 MGB