Rookie move

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rookie move
From: "Thomas Wannenburg" <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:28:46 -0500 (EST)
  I have been rebuilding my front brake calipers.  It seems that the brake fluid
and brake hoses were factory original in my car and it had been sitting about 2
years before I got it.  Having cleaned all the junk out of the cylinders ( no
pitting fortunately), I have reassembled them, replaced the seals and re -
installed them only to find that there is a small recess on the disc side of
each piston and I should have oriented these correctly.  The recesses are so
shallow that I didn't notice them.  Both calipers are back on the car with the
pistons in random orientation. The manuals I have say "note how the recesses are
oriented & place back the same way."  Can anyone tell me the purpose of these
recesses and should I redo the job - if so how are they oriented?  Thanks.

Tom 74 Midget

Thomas Wannenburg MD.
Cardiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine
Wake Forest Univ
twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu