Re: Rookie move

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: Rookie move
From: VRHS43A@prodigy.com (MR JOHN H TWIST)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 1996 22:54:36 EST

--[ FORWARDED PRIVATE MESSAGE ]--------

     To: VRHS43A
   From: Thomas Wannenburg
Subject: ROOKIE MOVE
   Date: 01/04/96 08:36 AM

  I have been rebuilding my front brake calipers.  It seems that the brake
fluid
and brake hoses were factory original in my car and it had been sitting
about 2
years before I got it.  Having cleaned all the junk out of the cylinders (
no
pitting fortunately), I have reassembled them, replaced the seals and re -
installed them only to find that there is a small recess on the disc side
of
each piston and I should have oriented these correctly.  The recesses are
so
shallow that I didn't notice them.  Both calipers are back on the car with
the
pistons in random orientation. The manuals I have say "note how the
recesses are
oriented & place back the same way."  Can anyone tell me the purpose of
these
recesses and should I redo the job - if so how are they oriented?  Thanks.

Tom 74 Midget

Thomas Wannenburg MD.
Cardiology, Bowman Gray School of Medicine
Wake Forest Univ
twannen@isnet.is.wfu.edu

 -------- Original message header follows --------
>From mgs-owner@autox.team.net  Thu Jan 04 08:37:37 1996  [PIM 3.2-334.50]
pimaia1y.prodigy.com (8.6.10/8.6.9) with ESMTP id IAA75430; Thu, 4 Jan 1996
08:36:40 -0500
(8.6.12/) with SMTP id IAA01171; Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:33:47 -0500
IAA01067 for mgs-outgoing; Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:31:39 -0500
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 08:28:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Thomas Wannenburg"  <twannen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
To: mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu

TOM!  The correct rotation of the brake caliper pistons will improve wear
on the pistons and reduce squealing.  I had a fellow enthusiast write me a
two page letter several years ago about this fact, which I believe
implicitly, but do not understand.  However, have no fear, your brakes will
work just fine.  Fast Forward!  John Twist