Re: Cam/lifter compatibility

To: howersl <howersl@ttown.apci.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam/lifter compatibility
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 1996 12:08:00 -0800 (PST)
MGs don't have Hydrolic lifters, but interesting info
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: mgs; howersl
Date: Friday,January 05,1996 8:30AM

>   Hi all.
>
>   With the recent discussion surrounding rebuilds and initial
>   startup, I have a related question.  In a few weeks, I'll be
>   starting the rebuild in my MGB for the first time, and while
>   I understand the importance of breaking in a new cam to new
>   lifters, how about an original cam and new lifters??
>
>   Before I am chastised for doing this, I had the cam checked
>   by a machinist I trust, had new bearings pressed in and
>   fitted to the cam, and all lobes and lifter faces were smeared
>   with gooey Crane cam-lube during assembly.
>
>   My father always taught me that it was foolish to use a
>   new cam and old lifters, but it was fine to use the reverse.
>   What I am wondering is do the same break in rules apply??
>
>   -Scott

I heard (probably from the same guy who told my to keep the RPM low and
load high to seat main bearings) that if you have a leaky hydraulic
lifter that you should buy a new one and replace the guts in the old
one with the guts from the new one and reinstall the old one. This way
the cam/lifter mating surface doesn't change.  When I did my rebuild, I
found the worn valve train was the main reason the engine was so tired
and I replaced everything with new stuff.

That's what I have heard. YMMV

 - -Mark      = =o&o