Re: MOWOG

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MOWOG
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 96 17:45:33 PST
Mike riposted:

> >Who's Grace?  There will be no concession from the "Ministry of War Oxford
> >Group" group even if I'm it.  After reading "The Rise and Fall of the Third
> >Reich" I now know that Hitler made his first aggressive moves towards
> >Austria in 1936.  It's entirely possible that the British started moving
> >towards a war economy in that year and that TA's were only made with the
> >permission of the Ministry of War.

> Denise do you imply that Nuffield was making parts (MOWOGS) in secret?

Au contraire!  MOWOG was the Ministry of War's seal of approval.  It was the
parts _without_ MOWOG on them (like those tiny instrument light bulbs) that
were made without the government's permission.  But what would you expect
from a guy who used an alias?  His real name was Kimber, not Nuffield.

> Was England's defence policy in 1936 the TA?

Only if they gave them to the Nazi's [ed. note to the MG gods--I'm kidding].

> Maybe so, what else could the dashing
> RAF pilots drive to the airfields.

Renaults.

> Maybe I should concede.