Re: MOWOG

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MOWOG
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 01:04:37 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 bleckstein@shell.monmouth.com wrote:

> John, welcome to the MOWAG wars. Your name and authority has been used along
> with Mike Allison as support for the"G means MG" group. The opposition
> maintained MOWAG meant Morris,Wolseley GROUP . It appears that the MOWAG came
> into use after 1936 when MG was sold by Wm. Morris (Lord Nuffield) to Morris
> Motors and the Nuffield Organisation was formed. Parts common to Morris,
> Wolseley and MG were marked MOWAG and began to appear on the TA.  I'm still
> waiting for a concession speech from the opposition which I will accept with
> grace.

You're a lot more graceful about it than I, Mike.  My interest in things
M.G. goes back to the mid 1950's (yes, I was a kid at the time - still
am), and back then the accepted lore was that MOWOG stood for MOrris
WOlseley mG.  I don't know where Will "The Revisionist" Zehring came up
with his MOrris WOlsely Group theory, but I've never heard that version
until he brought it up here.

Time to move on...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.