Re: B/GT rear window de-icer

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: B/GT rear window de-icer
From: Kenji Seto <kseto@litwin.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:52:53 -0600 (CST)
Greetings:

> ---Did the B/GT ever have the wire-in-glass sort of rear window de-icer as
> an option?
Yes, my '73 BGT came with one as a standard option with the standard
black/green rocker switch located beneath the radio, next to the hazzard
switch. I think that all of them came wired for this.  The wire goes
overhead in the headliner

> ---Would using such a de-icer in the B/GT pose too great a strain on the
> electical system?  I mean, in the pre-alternator cars, is the generator
> likely to keep up with the current drain caused by using the de-icer?  Would
> an alternator equipped car be better able to handle its use?

I guess by design it should be able to handle the current load, although
the stock defroster doesn't work nearly as well as one in a new car.  If
you put an aftermarket one in, it might have greater current requirements.
On the other hand, it might be more efficient, and require less.

-Kenji