Re: Fuel Pump Failure (again!)

To: ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Failure (again!)
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:37:27 -0500 (EST)

> In <Pine.LNX.3.91.960111092327.17477B-100000@tsquare.com>, John M. Trindle
>wrote:
> >I have had a second fuel pump go out in as many months on my '73 MGB.
> >
> >This is starting to look chronic!  Any ideas?  Thanks!
> >

> At the risk of appearing foolish, I'd suggest another SU pump.  The
> original lasted about 20 years, after all.  The new pumps come
> complete with suppression diode, which extends point life quite a bit.
> Besides, Vicky Brit has them on sale now for about $80 or so.  I have
> only had trouble with bad rebuilds of same.

  Ack!  Don't get another pump, get a rebuild kit.  Why?  Well,

  1) The pumps will almost always rebuild, there's never any wear on the
     body of the pump unless it's been phsyically kicked around by an
     accident or some such.

  2) They're easy to rebuild, and once you've done it you'll intimately
     understand the pump, and know how to fix it.  A lot of the time when a
     pump is "broken" it's just misadjusted and an hours worth of fiddling
     can put it back right. (I'm guessing that's what's wrong with John's
     pump, due to reason 3 below)

  3) The people building the new ones, or rebuilding the older ones, don't
     give a crap about your car, and aren't going to pay careful attention
     to getting the pump built correctly like you will.

  4) You'll save oodles of money in the long run, especially once you know
     that the points and valves are the only things to really ever go, and
     combined they'll only cost you about $10.

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation
                                        '74 MGB, '76 Spit