Re: Valve Timing Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Timing Question
From: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:12:05 CST
> Date sent:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:56:42 -0500 (EST)
> From:           John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
> Subject:        Valve Timing Question
> Send reply to:  John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>

> Hello again,
>
>    I am happy to report that the MGB engine rebuild is about finished!  I
> had a problem earlier with oil pressure, but after many suggestions from
> the list, I fixed the oil pump gasket and all is well.
>
>    I ran a compression test today and I measure 180 lbs +- 5 lbs on each
> cylinder.  After adjusting the timing, the engine is beginning to smooth
> out, but still runs rough with a distinct lack of power.  I suspect that
> I'm still having carb problems, but I do have a question.
>
>    If the valve timing were off, would I still get strong even
> compression across all 4 cylinders?  Its my guess that good compression
> shows that the valve timing and valve settings are all fine, but I'm
> curious what everyone else thinks.
>
> Thanks!
> John Van Valkenburgh
> Raleigh, NC   1970 MGB

Nope.  A close friend of mine had a similar problem after a rebuild
and we chased it all over the place.  Like you, it had good
compression.  But in a fit of pique, we took off the timing cover.
You guessed it - out of time by two teeth.  Retimed the valve train
and it noe runs like a scalded dog.  FWIW.