RE: Valve Timing Question

Subject: RE: Valve Timing Question
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:52:00 -0800 (PST)

 ----------
From: mgs-owner
Subject: Valve Timing Question
Date: Sunday,January 14,1996 7:56PM

Hello again,

   I am happy to report that the MGB engine rebuild is about finished!  I
had a problem earlier with oil pressure, but after many suggestions from
the list, I fixed the oil pump gasket and all is well.

   I ran a compression test today and I measure 180 lbs +- 5 lbs on each
cylinder.  After adjusting the timing, the engine is beginning to smooth
out, but still runs rough with a distinct lack of power.  I suspect that
I'm still having carb problems, but I do have a question.

   If the valve timing were off, would I still get strong even
compression across all 4 cylinders?  Its my guess that good compression
shows that the valve timing and valve settings are all fine, but I'm
curious what everyone else thinks.
*
Your compression would probably be off. Did you properly dial in the cam?
Thanks!
John Van Valkenburgh
Raleigh, NC   1970 MGB