Re: TD replica kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD replica kit
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 15 Jan 1996 17:12:27 -0600

<rabernat@freedom.NMSU.Edu>  >wrote:

>>There is a complete TD replica kit for sale localy for $1000.
>>I called the owner and he said it was ready to mount on a
>>VW pan. Has anyone built or owned one of these?
>>
>>What other chassis might it fit?
>>
>>How much is a replica worth anyway?
>>
>>Robert
>>

>>Here!s one mans opinion-not worth a dime. They are ugly, not set to true TD
>
>proportions, and only confuse those who don't know a cigar from a submarine.
>
>Don't waste your time or money on one.
>
>Mike Leckstein

Some objective observations.  I have seen a few of these after a few
years of use, and have ridden in one.  The fiberglass forms are not
well-designed to handle the stress points, and they shake like crazy
at speed (engine, wind, road vibration).  This results in lots of
cracking of the gelcoat, and unless they are housed indoors the color
fades badly.  With respect to proportions, I was interested to find
out that in fact the track and wheelbase of a standard beetle is
within an inch or so of the TD, and (of course) they use the same
tires.  The irony is that they still look lumpy when built.  Maybe
it's the god-awful top bows.

If you want to have fun with a VW, build a dune buggy.  Much more
substantial framing.  You can still find clapped-out TDs for not a
whole lot, and by the time you have put the time in, your
money investment will seem trivial by comparison.  IMO, YMMV....

                        A. B. Bonds