Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:42:29 -0600 (CST)
John M. Trindle writes:
> Both.  Rich mixture tends to pop out the tailpipe, while lean pops back
> through the carbs.  I call the latter "frontfire", although nobody else
> does <grin>.

Okay.  This suggests to me that I have an overly rich mixture with the
throttle plates fully closed (I'm not getting any funny stuff coming
back through the carbs; that sounds scary!).  But my plugs are a nice
even tan color, like they're supposed to be, not black and sooty, as a
rich mixture would produce.  One odd thing:  The front two plugs have
considerable buildup of deposits, but they're the "correct" light tan
color.  The rear two plugs do not have any deposits.

> I'm not sure about the bit of it traveling all through the tailpipe
> before exploding, I think it happens when raw fuel hits the hot exhaust
> manifold.  But I've been wrong before.

I figured the fuel travelled through the pipe, staying nice and hot,
until it encountered enough oxygen to have a party with.  Of course,
assuming my air pump is injecting air (I haven't actually checked it), I
suppose the ignition could happen anywhere inside the pipe...

> Well, the reason those silly buttons were put on the throttle
> plates was to prevent overly rich mixture on trailing throttle.

This is also, presumably, the job of the gulp valve.  Which I have.

> Aha!  I
> must say though that I have replaced my plates with solid ones and have
> no backfiring problem (frontfire while the engine is cold, oh yes).

You must be running leaner than me, then, no?

Christopher Reichle suggested a burnt exhaust valve.  I don't have a
compression gauge (maybe now is a good time to go get one...), but I set
the valve lash to spec at the same time as I was fiddling with the
dizzy.  Two or three valves were tight, but I figured that was just
normal valve seat recession.  Anyway, I figured a burnt exhaust valve
would be an obvious and sudden condition.  Am I wrong?

I feel a little guilty making all this fuss over a little backfire while
some of you haven't driven your cars for a month or more, or have
projects on jackstands.

I don't feel guilty at all about driving the little bugger, though!

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with Jiffy Pop exhaust