Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2

To: mgs-owner <mgs-owner@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance, pt. 2
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 15:40:00 -0800 (PST)
look below
 ----------
**********
This strongly suggests to me you have leaky valve guides on cylinders 1
and/or 2.  You are not supposed to have a "considerable" buildup of
deposits on todays gasolines.  The Spitfire did this because of oil
deposits until I got the head reworked (that car responded extremely well
to new plugs or careful removal of the deposits, you might consider that).

The fact that the front pair of plugs is different than the back pair is
extremely suspicious.  There has to be an asymmetry somewhere... maybe in
crankcase ventilation?  Excessive pressure could force oil vapor into the
carb in certain arrangements I have had (and seen).
a bad head gasket seal beween the two cylinders could cause that. Leaky
valve guides would show up on a vacuum guage as a bouncing needle at idle
the range of bounce would be about 5 to 10 lbs
Also, after the car has been sitting for a few hours, upon startup a plume
of blue smoke would come out from the oil which seeped into the cylinders
through the valve guides. If you don't have these two symptoms I doubt that
valve guides are causing your problem

Chris Reichle