GT's top of door rust

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT's top of door rust
From: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 96 20:01:16 -0500
-- [ From: Bill Mills * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

GT's have a chrome moulding along the top of the doors which holds the
outside rubber seal next to the window.  I have had trouble with rust
forming under this moulding on the last two door skins I have put on my 70
BGT.  This moulding is pop-riveted onto the door and there is no rubber
between the moulding and the top of the door skin.  The moulding eventually
moves enough to cause the paint under it to become rubbed off and rust
begins.  (atleast the GT doors are not as subject to the "crack of doom" as
much as our roadster friends).

Any suggestions as to how to prevent this.  Has anyone tried a thin rubber
strip that could possibly be installed between the moulding and door top?

Bill Mills
1970 MGBGT
Don't worry about putting the top down.