GTs (was UK MGB Prices)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: GTs (was UK MGB Prices)
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 96 09:23:16 EST
Kevin Phillips Wrote:

>Having watched the messages about GTs on the list over the last week or so and
>seeing how much you enjoy them, I am sorely tempted to but one of those
>instead of a Roadster, particularly as you seem to get better value for
>money. Mind you the value of a soft-top does not figure highly when the
>weather is as bad as it is at present.
>
>Come summer things may be different -  anyone got any comments on the best of
>the two - Roadster vs GT ?
As a current GT owner (C instead of the B) and a past roadster owner I would
strongly suggest you consider the GT.  The purists may scream, but when I redo
my C/GT, it will be with a Webasto top.  This gives me all the advantages of
the GT, including a functional back seat.  I have two young daughters and the
GT makes a great bus.  With the hatch, I can hold a week's worth of groceries.
It should be more water proof than the roadster, but I cannot confirm that.  My
roadster had a new top and was quite dry except for the required leak into my
wife's lap that I never found.  (Oops, that almost sounds non-PC...)  The GT
however has less than perfect floorboards so I get some splash in along with
a few drips from poor door seals.  A Webasto would give me summer fun with
enough wind to keep me happy, most of the time.  And on very long trips, it is
hard to handle the wind thrashing one gets in a top down roadster.  Before
anyone questions my commitment to topless motoring, my definition of very long
is 8 hours or more on the interstate.  Been there, done that, lost the hair the
next day when I tried to comb that mess.

One vote: GT, with a very period addition of a Webasto....

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581