Solid State Fuel Pumps, was Midget won't start

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Solid State Fuel Pumps, was Midget won't start
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 96 09:32:23 EST
Glen Wilson Wrote:
>One odd think is that the fuel pump (a solid state Purolator job) keeps on
>pumping as if it's not getting up to pressure.  As I said, it is pumping into
>a container, but I haven't measured the pressure.
The solid state pumps that I have run across run continuously.  Once they
have reached full system pressure (which may indeed by higher than you need)
they circulate the fuel within the pump itself.  A simple valve directs fuel
flow either into the line to the carbs, or back to the pickup line.  The
solid state jobbies therefore always tick.  This is a far cry from the
comforting tickticktick..tick....tick..........tick of an SU fool pump.
But in the name of humor, the SU is a fool pump, having made fools of most
all of us somewhere along the line.

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581