Re: Originality

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Railroad2@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 13:44:50 -0500
Concerning Originality

I agree with Tim Moses that the decision whether to keep the car original or
not has a lot to do with the condition of the car when you buy it.  My nice
'66 Midget is very close to original except for the steering wheel (I have an
original one on the other car) and the upholstery (which is all new and all
black with no contrastingpiping.)  I think that changing this car much would
cause its resale value to drop which I can't afford to allow.  Besides, it
looks like new and to mess with it would be to take away its classicness.

On the other hand, the nice original Midget is for sale.  I have another
solid '66 Midget which (if I don't sell it first) I will some day turn into a
FUN Midget.  Maybe hop up the engine, Minilites, fender flares, lowered
suspension, no bumpers.  When I think about it, I think this route would
really be a lot of fun.

On the third hand, I'm starting on my new 1970 Rover 3500S and looking toward
having it be good for high speeds and reliability.  Sooner or later I'll
probably put a Holley carb on it with a Edlebrock manifold and a high energy
electronic ignition system.  I may be putting an interior from another car
into it because I like the new color better.  The original paint color is
Tobacco Leaf which looks like the stuff you find in a nursing baby's diaper.
 I plan to repaint it in a different color but will probably choose a nicer
color that was original for that year, and I will definitely save every bit
of the oddball induction and ignition systems original to the car in case the
next owner wants to return the car to original specifications.

When I get around to my MG 1100 sedan, I plan to repaint it the original dark
green (Connaught green?) but will do it in the green above white below
two-tone paint scheme that was offered that year because it really makes the
car stand out.

Glen