judson supercharger

To: <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: judson supercharger
From: Westley Johnson <kooksei@mailhost.hooked.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 16:53:00 -0800
       hello all,
if any of you are entertaining thoughts of supercharging
your MG maybe this will be of a little help.
    first locate a judson supercharger for an MGA. i found
mine in berkeley ca. 4 years ago when i started the major
overhaul of my 67 B tourer. i had already ordered the
1955 cc kit, and other horse power seeking bits, when i ran
 across the supercharger. as i always saw a supercharger as
a thing of awe and beauty i couldn't pass on this one. i didn't
know it at the time i got it but it had everything that was
supplied in the original from new including the original
instructions.(which if you would like a copy of let me know, i
also have a reprint of the road and track test of an MGA
with said supercharger [:-) ) anyway back to the project.
    as i said the judson bolts right on up to the MGB head
and just sits there beautifully. the things i had to do to actually
make this work in my car are as follows:
1)the double pulley on the unit had to be shimmed out about .100"
2)i had to locate an MGA harmonic balance pulley to mount the
     crank pulley to.(we tried using a "B" pulley but it didn't work as
well)
3)i had to have the sterring rack moved forward 3/4" to clear the
    bottom pully and to make changing the belts easier.
4)since i had a radiator from a different year i had to have the
    filler neck relocated(on an early "B"you don't need to do this)
5)the last thing i had to do was install an electric fan (which i would
    have done anyway)because i lost the clearance between the water
    pump and the radiator due to the belts and the tensioner in the way.
    in addition to this engine work i have added a rear sway bar,
upgraded the front swaybar, revalved the shocks, installed stiffer
front springs, and rebuilt the '72 o/d tranny that doesnt quite fit
in perfectly but with the smallest amount of transmission tunnel
removal , it works.
    all the seals and bearings are available for the judson, as is the
carb rebuild kit(available from NAPA auto parts)
    now the sad part :(
    as i said i started it  over 4 years ago. unfortunatly i have only
driven it twice since finishing it last july(well not really finishing
it, more like stuffing the engine in it, running minimal wiring and
whining untill it produced oil pressure )i drove it onto the trailer
(to take it to the muffler shop) and off the trailer twice then about
30 minutes as it was killing me not to drive.
    since that drive my soon to be wife and i bought a house and a
67 MGB GT (for which i desperatly need a first gear....anyone??)
so that has taken a back burner again (did i mention it's a fixer of a
house)
and the fact that i'm storing it in berkeley is another little prob.
    so when time permits i'll get back to my second love.
    anyone still awake ???
    sorry for ramblin but i'm always willing to share my knoledge
or experiences.

        thanks

            westley       kooksei@hooked.net

btw: i don't preach originality rather, is the part at least kind of
fit to do the job? no i don't have a lucas gen i have a delco alternator
sorry purists:(