RE: SAE or Whitworth?

To: MGs <MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: RE: SAE or Whitworth?
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 08:36:00 PST
Rarely were Whitworth fasteners used on automotive products. However, BSF
fasteners (fine thread) were used on many MGs up to about 1954. After
that, UNF fasteners were used. These are very close in size to the heads
on SAE fasteners, but the threads vary slightly. BA fasteners continued
to be used for small machine screw sizes well beyond the 1954 date.

So, if you are doing an A or B or later, SAE tools will serve you well. A
set of BA sockets and open ends will also be useful.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com