Surface rust removal

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Surface rust removal
From: "SLUPECKI A." <AJSLUPEC@MSMACAB.REMNET.AB.COM>
Date: 15 Feb 1996 06:55:06 CST
I bought my first MG last July, a 78 B.  It got me home (just barely)
and I have been slowly working on it since.  Initially, I worked through
some fuel problems and electrical problems so that I could drive it
during the short summer we have in Wisconsin.   This winter, I am
tackling the interior and exterior.

The car is rust free except for surface rust around the door handles,
door locks, window frame etc. where the paint has been chipped off.
There is similar rust around the headlight trim rings, body side
molding, etc.  I have removed the doors and completely dis-assembled
them.  I have removed the rust with a wire wheel on my power drill, but
there is still some pitting and corrosion.  What do I need to do so the
rust doesn't reappear in a year or two?  I am not doing a complete
restoration, but I will be replacing the hood and trunk lid (both are
dented), filling some other minor dings, cleaning up rust, etc, and
getting a fresh paint job so I want it to look nice for a long time.

Thanks...Andy Slupecki    Milwaukee, WI