Re: Running with alternator disconnected

To: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Running with alternator disconnected
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 08:07:46 -0700 (MST)
I used to drive my 65B with the generator disconnected - probably because
I went through three of them in quick succession due to early commutator
failures. After giving up, I drove without using it - I just made sure I
always parked with the car facing downhill. And I used a battery charger
every few days to keep the battery up.

For long drives, I carried an extra set of batteries. And I did drive as
far as 500 miles once on one set of batteries.

As near as I know, the only effect of running with the alternator
disconnected is that your battery will not recharge and eventually will
go dead.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
71BGT soon to return