T-Series gearbox rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: T-Series gearbox rebuild
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:06:43 -0500
Morning,

     In about 10 years of rebuilding T-Series gearboxes we have noted the
following:

*  New (repro) first gears sometimes don't fit the sliding hub and we have
needed to       de-burr and use valve grinding compound to work the two parts
to fit.

*  Check for case cracking at the layshaft holes.

*  1st/2nd and 3rd/4th sliders have 6 balls which are fun to refit.  The
balls are staked in    their holes on some later gears which helps. For most
gears, however,  we made a    tool out of an old 1st gear by chamfering a
tooth at each of  6 ball positions to       compress these round fellows.

*  Check all gears for wear on the gearteeth and the synchroteeth.  T-series
gearboxes    are costly to rebuild properly.

Have fun,

Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA  22031
(800) 527-3140
U.S.A.

Subj:   MGTD Tranny rebuild
Date:   96-02-14 10:46:15 EST
From:   ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (A. B. Bonds)

Having succumbed to cabin fever, I am looking to rebuild the tranny in
my 52 TD.  As it is currently, the unit works but has a lot of bearing
noise and the alleged synchros are very weak, especially in 3rd gear.
One can only get clash-free shifts by moving the stick veeerrrry
slowly.

Having recently redone the tranny in an A, I am guessing that the
bearings need attention (incuding the rollers under the gears), the
laygear shaft needs replaced, and perhaps the laygear thrust washers
are worn.  From the parts diagrams and the manual it would appear that
the synchronizing surfaces are pressed or swaged into the two sliding
dogs (for 1-2 gear and 3-4 gear).  This suggests that these units need
to be replaced in their entirety.  (I noted that the manual listed the
synchro cones as separate parts, but I can't find them listed as such
in any modern catalogs.)  The downside of this is that, at least from
our friends at Moss, the two sliding dogs go for a total of $500.  Am
I missing something here, or does this pretty much sum up the expected
damage?  Any suggestions for alternate sources for these bits?
                        A. B. Bonds