Re: Fixing wear in an MGA real axle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fixing wear in an MGA real axle
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:38:15 -1000
On 14 Feb 1996, "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu> said:

In <960213231511_221607772@emout06.mail.aol.com>, RatiganJ@aol.com wrote:
>On this latter axle, I discovered signficant wear on the portion
>>of the rear axle on which the wheel bearing rests (There was also signfiicant
>>wear with this wheel bearing).  Now, should I take the whole rear axle casing
>>off and take it to a machine shop to have the surface built up and
>>subsequently machined down to the right diameter or should I search out a
>>used rear axle housing?
>
>Depends on how much wear has occurred.  The bearing is meant to be a
>press-fit into the housing, so the outer diameter should be about even
>with or even 1-2 thousandths larger than the "socket" in the housing.
>If the wear is such that the clearance with a NEW bearing is no more
>than a couple thousandths, there are some marvelous new "space filler"
>products made by folks like Loc-Tite (the name "Liquid Metal" comes to
>mind) that are specifically compounded to seal bearings into their
>housings.  Go to your neighborhood bearing shop and they can doubtless
>fix you up.  If the wear is much greater, a replacement rear axle is
>in order.  I believe that this is the same as the "banjo" axle of the
>MGB, so getting one should not be a very big problem.
>                        A. B. Bonds

The Loc-Tite stuff to use is called "Retaining Compound", they have
both medium and high-strength formulations. It is specifically for
bearing "seats".

I have found the retaining compound works great is there has only been
a little chatter or bearing spin in the hub. Any more than that and it
is only good for a very short period of time.

I have had great success with "Speedy Sleeves" (tho' that might not be
the correct spelling of the brand name). I had an axle housing on
which the wheel bearing could move too easily and the oil seal didn't
work too well. The speedi sleeve is a thin piece of metal that you
sort of unwrap onto the bearing seat or the seal seat. The process is
hard to explain except to say that it is sort of like the winding key
method of opening a can of SPAM (Wonderful SPAM; SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM;
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM...)

Again, a good bearing shop should be able to help out...

Mike

Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au