MGA Brake Problem Update

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Brake Problem Update
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 10:33:04 -0500
For those of you following the brake problem (excess pedal travel) on my '57
MGA with MGB front discs, here is an update.

Over the weekend:

Replaced front wheel bearings
Replaced rotors
Replaced pads
Replaced caliper seals
Replaced brake hoses
Replaced MC cover with larger volume late MGA type cover
Bled through 2 bottles brake fluid
Pressurized (2x4 wedged on pedal method) for 2 hours, checked for leaks,
found none

The result?  No change.  Pedal still travels about half way before becoming
firm.

Previously I replaced rubber/seals in the master cylinder, clutch slave
cylinder, and rear drum brake cylinders.  At this point I think it must come
down to the master cylinder.  So, I pulled the master cylinder again and I
plan to send it off to Apple for a rebuild.

I'll give another update after the MC rebuild.

Keith Baer