EGR question (was: air pump questions)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: EGR question (was: air pump questions)
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 13:17:28 PST
Todd asked:

> I've been listen to this conversation and it just dawn on me that I took off
>the
> air pump, air injectors and blew out the catalytic convertor on my 80 limited
> and didn't think of removing the EGR.  Can you without any problems or
> modifications to the manifold?  Tell me how if it's possible!
>
> My car runs better than ever.  I still would like to put a pair of 71 carbs.
> on it.

I hate to dominate the conversation, but...

The obvious solution is to put early carbs + manifold and exhaust system
on the car since you want to put S.U.'s on it anyway.  BUT, there's a
quick, dirty and cheap fix.  There's a restrictor under the base of the
EGR valve--it looks like a dime with a hole in it.  Replace it with a
dime without a hole and exhaust gases can't get into the intake.  All
this requires is an EGR gasket and a dime and takes maybe ten minutes, but
you didn't hear it from me.  And then if you're ever stuck, you can use
the dime for half a pay phone call.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com