Re Rear Wheel Bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Rear Wheel Bearings
From: "Graham Naylor" <naylorg@a1chefs.rdgmts.reo.mts.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 96 07:26:13 +0100
[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

Bob,

I have just been through the same exercise with my '67 B, the nuts
you describe can be a pain to remove as not only are they about 2"
across the flats they are also 8 sided rather than the standard 6. To
remove mine I resorted to the old hammer and cold chisel method as
suggested by my local MG dealer as even they have never seen a spanner
that will fit these nuts. Recently there was a letter in the MGOC
magazine (I think) that mentions a way of removing them with a small
hand vice clamped across the flats and then using a small bar for
leverage.

Either way don't forget that one of the nuts is a LH thread !, to
remove the hub all you need is an old brake drum, put it on the studs
back to front and use this along with a copper/hide mallet to knock
off the hub turning the drum after each hit.

I know all this sounds primitive but once the nuts are replaced  using
the same method there is surprisingly little damage to them and
everything else is OK.

Good Luck

Graham Naylor

1967 MGB Roadster (undergoing restoration)