RE: re-black bumpers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: re-black bumpers
From: "SLUPECKI A." <AJSLUPEC@MSMACAB.REMNET.AB.COM>
Date: 05 Mar 1996 14:57:14 CST

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996 taylorts@syr.ge.com wrote:

> I need to restore the black rubber on my 80 B's bumpers.
> Can I get ideas on how people do this, what do you use etc...
> thanks   .....Todd
>
> I have used various things and nothing seems to work well....

This topic came up on the MG WWW Bulletin Board.  The concensus there was to wet
sand the bumpers starting with 600 grit followed by 1000 or 1500 grit to get
them smooth and then a topcoat of Armor All (or similar product) to get the
shine back.  I did this to the bumpers on my 78 B and am very pleased with the
result.

BTW...the DPO did a respray without removing ANYTHING and the wetsanding did a
good job of getting a lot of paint off the bumpers too.

Good luck,

Andy