It's An Engine Thing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It's An Engine Thing
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (NewEdge IAS)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 19:28:52 -0400
Greetings from Atlantic Canada. March is doing it's lion routine here, which
makes for quality garage time..

I used to believe time was nature's way of preventing everything from
happening at once, however with an MG hobby/additiction....

Both the parts GT and the long-awaited engine & transmission have all
arrived within the past two weeks!

Picking away at the GT, we've gleaned a flawless dash, lottsa small bits and
pieces.....feel free to e-mail with anything you may need..

Have made engine installation in the '77 top priority. The gentleman with
whom this deal was arranged came through with exactly what was promised.
Delivered to my garage door, one MG engine & overdrive transmission. First
discovery - as it's out of a '72, the engine mounts are different in the
'77, so first order of biz is to change the engine frontplate. Seems pretty
straighforward(!)

Plans called for renewed front oil seal anyway, so going a bit further
shouldn't pose a problem and I'm not anticipating any major obstacles (yeah,
right). Any comments, tips, words of advice would be appreciated.

I'm probably going to replace the timing chain while I'm in there. They're
pretty inexpensive (11 bucks for a single, 23 or so for a double...Cdn dollars).

I plan to do the rear seal as well, so I'm open for all and any advice,
cautions etc.

Presently cleaning each component for paint (black - as it's in a 77, and I
believe engines were painted black by this time), paying attention to small
details, polishing, cleaning, polishing....re-assembly to the tranny and
installation targetted for the weekend of March 24th.

Denise, if you're out there, lead us in prayer...

Cheers!

Terry
mgguyc100@newedge.ca
'70 BGT