MGB Kinpin headache...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Kinpin headache...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:46:08 -0500 (EST)
  Fellow sufferers,

  One of the parts suppliers had a recent sale on complete
  assembled MGB stub-axles.  I am waiting for them to arrive,
  so this past weekend, armed with Greg Meboe's advice and
  Lindsay Porter's book, I started the front-end dissasembly
  on my 73B.  I managed to safely seperate most of the
  components without incident (the tie-rod end popped right
  out of the control arm, just like they said it would) but
  I hit a snag and would like to solicit advice on the best
  way to proceed.

  The problem is the a-arm\kingpin/a-arm sandwich at the
  bottom of the stubaxle will NOT come apart. I removed
  the big castellated nut with an impact wrench, and managed
  to get the pivot bolt to spin inside the kingpin bush/distance
  tube affair, but I can not remove the bolt.  Frustrated, I let
  the assembly soak in Kroil (and me in malt beverage) overnight;
  I put the nut back on and whanged it with an air hammer for a
  while.  *I* felt alot better but *it* still wont budge ;-)
  Any one have any ideas??

  I do not have access to a cutting torch, so my plan is to unbolt
  the spring pan from both a-arms, and just order new arms- the
  holes are probably ovaled anyway...  Hopefully, I wont need
  to return a core... Anyone need a slightly used pre-assembled
  kingpin/a-arm kit??

  On a related note, I figured that while I had the hub apart,
  it would be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings.  The
  new bearing kit included races that need to be pressed into
  the hub.  The old races look and feel fine.  Is it a bad idea
  to use the guts of the new bearings and the exixting races,
  or should I just go ahead and have the new ones pressed in.
  In keeping with typical British Leyland fashion, my  manuals
  say to replace them if they need to be replaced  :-|

  Thanks in advance.

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.