Don't try this at home.

To: Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Don't try this at home.
From: Michael Boley <mdboley@hpbs1117.boi.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 8:41:26 MST
Don't try this at home......

While I am extremely proud of how my 68BGT survived it is not recommended
that this stunt be attempted..even by professionals...

The story goes...

While on my way to work/school early in the morning last November 17 a
1980 ElCamino decided to brake hard coming off a newly installed
traffic light.(less than 3 wks old).  Needless to say my BGT took it
on the nose. ###!!!  (appropriate words to small town drivers).  The
estimate on the Chevy (Built like a rock..I don't think so) was $1200
plus... The MGBGT, being a scrappy little fighter, required a new
bumper kit (Moss @ $160), a new Grill(Moss @ $140), $100 of sheet
metal work(from a friend), and $250 to paint and misc.  Hurrah for the
underdog...

Moral:  I am even more convinced that even with all it's faults the MG is still
a better
vechicle than alot of the things that call themselves cars.....

My 68BGT for the record was well cared for by the previous owners.....
I purchased it on a whim last June for $2000 even...

After first looking at it and noting that the rear carb leaked like a
sieve I convinced my wife I could install two carb kits for thirty
dollars and turn it over for a quick 500 profit.  Having owned a 59A
fifteen years ago while in school I knew all the ins and outs of
ownership of a LBC(Yes I drove in the Washington State winters with
the top down and loved it).  Well needless to say.....The virus bit
the first time I drove it after the carb rebuild and after the sales
job of my life the garage is now graced with a pretty little red
MGB-GT.  The PO's have installed an electric fan (no thermostate) in
front of the radiator, an electronic ignition, a single 12V battery.
I also discovered a fuel pump cutout switch under the dash.  She is
not a show quality, but more of a daily driver.  Which is exactly what
I wanted...Someone also tried to fix the horn by installing a button
under the dash. I don't know if they couldn't find the button on the
turn signal or just thought it was bad.  I found the problem to be a
blown fuse.  Any way I had to unburden myself to people who understand
the addiction.

Thanks for the listen.....

Michael Boley
mdboley@hpbs1117.boi.hp.com