New Fangled Low Maintenance Batteries

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Fangled Low Maintenance Batteries
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 96 20:34 EST
I've heard a rumor that the newer low maintenance "sealed" batteries are
harder to charge, and are not interchangable with the old "vented" type.
Supposedly, the new cars run a slightly higher voltage to force the battery to
take more charging current. If this is true, it sounds like these newer
batteries would be especially bad candidates for use on old "generator" cars.
Has anybody out there successfully used one on an old car? These new batteries
tend to keep their acid inside and that would be a great advantage on a
treasured LBC one is trying to preserve. If there are no replies, I will
research the subject and post the results.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB