Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:26:41 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-08 15:48:16 EST, thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise
Thorpe) writes:

>.
>
>The early starter can be used with a slight modification to the late engine
>backing plate.  If I could remember what that modification is, I'd tell you.
>People claim that the later starter is better

I prefer to use the early solonoid with the late starter, and also avoid dirt
roads :-)
The conversion involves welding a new ear on the engine backing plate, and
knocking a hole through the back of the later trans so the early starter can
fit. I did this one once, after that I decided that changing backing plates
was simpler. Besides, the late starter won't lock itself into the flywheel
like the early one does, which in my tool box removes the need for the long
bar I hammer on to break it loose with!
>it's also possible to have the shift arm of the late transmission shortened
>and then no modifications need to be made to the body at all.  There's a guy

>in San Diego who does it for $75.
I'm a bit surprised that that can be done. It is a whole big cast piece with
rods and all that stick out too far, does he actually shorten the
casting??!!!
As I am about to do this conversion on my latest project, I seriously would
like to know! Can you put me in touch with this guy so I can check it out???
THANKS!!!!!!