valve guides, seats

To: mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: valve guides, seats
From: Richard Hauser <DCHAUSER@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 08:22:40 EST
I have just pulled the head from two midgets (ouch) and I have some
typical newbie questions.  I have never rebuilt an engine so I don't
know what constitutes loose valve guides.  The first midget smoked
on deceleration so I suspected bad valve seals.  When I opened it
up the valve seats had a lot of tan buildup on both the valve and
seat of the exhaust valves.  I used some grinding/lapping compound
and when I removed the gunk they look like they make a good seal.
The guides are tight.  Should this work now?  What else should I
look for?

The second head came from my parts car.  When I pulled it the
valves looked better, but I don't know what constitutes loose
valve guides. (by the way these are 1275 engines) The book says
that guides should be replaced if they are very loose and allow
lateral rocking.  These are a little loose, but don't really
allow any rocking.  Will the oil from the valve cover come down
these guides into the cylinder?  There aren't any seals on 1275s.

These cars are just for driving around occasionally, so I'm not
really into squeezing the last iota of performance from them.  I
appreciate any enlightment you can give me.  Thanks in advance.

Rich

Richard Hauser
General Classroom Building, Room 3104
East Carolina University