Possile Purchase of a TF

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Possile Purchase of a TF
From: Steve Patchel <spatchel@radford.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 11:37:50 -0800
I'm seeking advice regarding a possible purchase of a TF. The car has been
restored, but not to "show car" levels (thank god as I intend to drive it on
a fairly regular basis). It has a good to excellent paint job, new seats,
top, interior, etc. Engine is strong, but I need to do further investigation
regarding miles in engine, its compression , etc. Advice on what to look for
regarding the engine and gear box (compression , early warning signs
regarding gear box problems, etc.) is very much appreciated.

I have not test driven the car, but intend to do so in the next few days.

The car is being sold by the a local shop here in California that I have
been doing business with since 84 and have always been treated very fairly
regarding both price and quality of repairs on the 71 B and therefor have
some degree of confidence that the car is fairly represented regarding level
of restoration and mechanicals.

The current "asking price" is US$17,400. Having no experience with relative
value of this model MG, I'm unclear as to what constitutes "fair market"
especially as it relates to here in Silicon Valley. I recognize that its
difficult to set a price, but expected range would be helpful.

Much thanks to all of you in advance for your thoughts.

Stephen Patchel
Consulting Practice Leader
Radford Associates
voice: 408-321-2540