Re: Weber Carb on MGB

To: FUSIONDES@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weber Carb on MGB
From: Bill Lattimer <m22@skypoint.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 13:53:24 -0600 (CST)
IMHO, the only way to get a Weber set up right is via a dyno.

I put a Weber Sidedraft on my '70 MGB after long consideration.  80% of
the folks I talked with said it would be virtually undriveable on the
street, the other 20% said it would be just OK.  I ordered the TWM
manifold and the 45DCOE (from Fast Freddie's, which was nice enough to
search thru their inventory for a carb with the right size chokes) along
with the recommended jets from the Haynes Weber manual.  After
installation, the car fired right off (Model 152's and up have a manual
choke) and ran well over 2500 RPM but had a spit at idle.  I spent $250
for rolling road dyno time which highlighted timing, jet and emulsion
tube changes.  The car now has a slightly lumpy idle @ 1000 RPM and has
INCREDIBLE throttle response.  I consider the sidedraft to be a very
streetable combo, if you plan (and budget) for some quality dyno time.