Carberator & Ignition Systems...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Carberator & Ignition Systems...
From: SimJaysun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 17:48:05 -0500
I have a 79 MGB that I've recently obtained and done a head rebuild on.
 However, I'm having a few challenges.  If anyone has some input, please
respond.  By the way, all emmisions controls have been removed by the
previous owner except the EGR valve (ie. cat, air pump).

1)  The car is running VERY rich, and the idle air mixture controls don't
seem to be affecting it.  We've rebuit the carb, so I'd be very surprised if
the mechanism is dirty.  As a matter of fact, none of the books we have
coincide well with each other regarding the adjustment procedure.  ie.
 Adjusting the float level, mixture, etc.  Our car has the CD175 Zenith carb,
with a water controlled auto-choke.  We're thinking that perhaps the choke
isn't really turning off, and that leads us to the next question.

2)  How does that crazy choke work?!  Does it actually hold the idle up, or
does it just adjust the mixture.  It appears that it works on a vaccum
principle...If we were to remove it, how would it affect the carb's
performance.  Also, if we were to remove it, what could we plug the holes
left behind with?

3)  Where could I find a good schematic of the carb/choke assembly?

4)  The timing on the car is advanced to about 25 degrees BTDC with the
distrubutor retarded completely.  We tried to take the distributor drive gear
out and turn it back one tooth, so our adjustment range would improve, but we
can't seem to get the gear out of the block.  (By the way, our documentation
says the ideal timing is 10 degrees BTDC.  Is this correct?)

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help us...